2020 has proved to be a challenging year for all of us. However, it has a considerable negative impact on the sports and business fields, particularly. Although the authorities have cancelled most of these sports events, some proceedings are still ongoing. Nevertheless, they have modified specific rules and workings to maintain minimal social distancing amongst participants. As such, some contenders found it challenging to cope with the revised regulations.
Consequently, Lee Westwood publicized a guide on conquering the altered game course for the Augusta National this year. He provided a detailed explanation of each course segment plus how to overcome each of them.
Augusta National stands abode for the world’s most famous golf holes. The rearranged version is available for public viewing. Each with their unique names, the holes provide the largest Major with some entertaining settings.
- Tea Olive- It consists of the round’s most demanding plus stressful hole to conquer. We can attribute this difficulty to the ground’s imperceptible ripples. Furthermore, there exists a bunker on the fairway’s right side. A single mistake can cause a devastating loss.
- Pink Dogwood- The most exciting hole of the course, it is almost impossible to score here. The first stands a tee draw-of, while the latter is a little shoot at the green’s obverse.
- Flowering Peach- Strong winds of this segment make it challenging to score a point here. However, there exist a few shots to conquer this round.
- Flowering Crabapple- Players must hit the putting surface’s accurate portion to acquire a birdie plus par.
- Magnolia- This is a long uphill course accompanied by a left-directing dogleg. This year, the par-four has increased by 40 yards.
- Juniper- A mid-iron may be employed to hit the ball down the slope. A solitary bunker exists to interrupt a mishit shot.
- Pampas- Players must gain an unwavering handle on their second shot spin. Five traps interject any decent shot. Players often utilize a birdie here.
- Yellow Jasmine- Again, it stands an uphill hole with a right-facing bunker that players must avoid.
- Caroline Cherry- The slope, swinging back and front, makes players keep track of their spin so that the shots do not end up rolling back down.
- Camellia- The steep downhill, accompanied by a sloping green, makes this hole the trickiest segment to earn a point.
- White Dogwood- The first tee shot stands a downhill one, hit from left to right. Players must overcome the pond in the second shot while utilizing the right positioned banks.
- Golden Bell- This hole looks extremely simple but is quite tricky indeed. The banks complicate the segment even further.
- Azalea- The determining segment of the course, this hole holds an advantage for right-handed players.
- Chinese Fir- It does not comprise any bunkers. However, the hole’s resistance challenges even the most professional players.
- Firethorn- The second shot here holds more significance than the first one. The more significant number of obstacles make it challenging to score.
- Redbud- This segment hole’s position tests each player’s control over the club.
- Nandina- Even a simple miss can prove to be an immense struggle to the participants.
- Holly- The most iconic shot, players have the opportunity of showing off their skills here.
Lee Westwood’s Reference
The 47-year old, proficient golfer Westwood unveiled the match course for this year along with the ways to conquer each segment:
- For the fairway, if possible, one would prefer to be on the left side. However, if there exists a bunker, the course of action is to avoid it. Conversely, par is the best way to go for such instances.
- If a hole accompanied a short par four located on the right, a generic hit or a flick left is usable. Else, players may hit a long iron or a hybrid, setting themselves up for a wedge.
- It is not preferable to be on the right due to the bunker’s guard to overcome any challenging par three.
- For a dogleg, the left bunkers are often deep and can earn penalties. Players must manage distance control from the right of the fairway.
- After the seventh segment, an interval is crucial to players. They will inevitably feel the compulsion of hitting a birdie. Nevertheless, they have to be aware to avoid the fairway bunker.
- Amen Corner depicts the commencement of a demanding course. The lengthening will prove to be a definite challenge for many.
- Distance control stands essential for the courses following the eleventh segment.
- Consequent to the thirteenth segment, players have to take full advantage of the par fives.
Read a similar item on the Heisman Trophy.